Sunday, May 18, 2008

miles of stockinette stitch

giant unfelted noni bag

Isn't this hilarious? It's an unfelted Noni grocery bag - specifically the Noni green earth grocery bag with recycle arrow (#407). I'm knitting it for Webs and while I got off to a good start, it seemed to take FORVER to reach the top of the bag. I thought I was done when you add extra stitches for the handle tabs and then I realized that I had to knit 10 EXTRA rows - ugh. But when I finally picked it up off my lap I had to laugh, cause look how freaking enormous it is! It's like knitting a giant sweater without sleeves.

ready for market

I'm going to felt it tomorrow, so I'll let you know how small it ends up. It should be your basic grocery store bag size. I'm using Cascade 220 doubled knit on 11's - colors #7414 and 7418.

BSJ sock stashbuster

In other news I also finished another baby surprise jacket out of leftover sock yarn. It's proabaly good to have some spare baby goods in the gift drawer - you never know who is going to have a baby!

e's noro raglan

I've also finally started a(nother) sweater for Elliott. You may recall early on the blog that I was knitting Elliott a tiny yarn fair isle extravaganza that I designed. I had loads of trouble with the hem and made it about 8 inches before I petered out. While I would like to finish it someday, I just can't do it right now. I had to admit to Elliott a few months ago that it would be better to make a new simpler larger yarn sweater that I could actually finish before winter. So I took him to the great wall of Noro yarn and he picked some great colors. The new plan is to make a noro striped raglan sweater with a v-neck. And I'm motoring my way up the body at a rapid rate. I'm striping two colors of silk garden - 226 and 244 - and because the diameter of the sweater is man-sized, the stripes are a bit more subtle, sometimes changing color within the stripe. I like the looke very much and am sorting out how to keep this look on the sleeves with their smaller diameter. I might stripe 4 balls of yarn to at least get more colors in the sleeves like the body. Thoughts?

12 Comments:

Blogger jillian said...

Holy cow! That's the biggest knitted bag I've ever seen. Curious how much it will shrink up!

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - that's one big bag! Looks like you've been doing lots of knitting.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

The picture of you standing in the bag is hysterical. I can't wait to see how it felts up.
The baby sweater is just great. I need to start putting aside my leftover sock yarn for a BSJ!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Gudrun Johnston said...

Soo curious to see the 'after' pics of the bag....love the colours on your BSJ and the stripey sweater!

12:52 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

Wow - biggest bag ever! It will be fabulous felted! And that BSJ - plmg, darling!

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that bag is hilarious! I'm eager to see how much it shrinks up after felting.

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet Jebus! That's crazy!

Love Elliot's new sweater. Can't wait to see what you do for the sleeves!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

That is HUUUGE!! Wow - you've been busy haven't you! hehe

I like the new sweater and it will definitely be done a ton faster than knitting on those tiny needles!

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! my! That is a lot of knitting. It will surely fit a lot of groceries too.

The BSJ is really cute. Love the colours for the Noro sweater.

5:17 PM  
Blogger LeAnna said...

That bag is hilarious. It brings back many fond memories of the giant slipper days.

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That bag is hilarious! I'm looking forward to seeing how much it shrinks. When you knit the BSJs with sock yarn, are you using sport weight or fingering weight?

7:33 PM  
Blogger Jennie said...

Holy smokes!! That's one huge bag. Can't wait to see how small it'll get.

3:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home